How to Settle a Injury Claim for a Child
If you are seeking to settle a claim on behalf of a child in Georgia, the process may be slightly different than settling a claim for an adult. Here are the general steps to settle a claim for a child in Georgia:
1. Hire a personal injury attorney: It is highly recommended that you hire a personal injury attorney who has experience handling cases involving children. The attorney can evaluate the case, advise you of your legal options, and help you determine the best course of action.
2. Determine the value of the claim: Your attorney will work with you to determine the value of the claim, taking into account factors such as medical expenses, future medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
3. File a claim with the insurance company: Your attorney will file a claim with the insurance company of the party responsible for the injury. The insurance company will investigate the claim and may make an offer to settle the case.
4. Negotiate a settlement: Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to try to reach a fair settlement. If the insurance company's initial offer is not acceptable, your attorney may negotiate further to try to reach a better offer.
5. Obtain court approval of the settlement: If the settlement amount is over a certain threshold, typically $25,000 in Georgia, a judge must approve the settlement. The judge will review the settlement to ensure that it is fair and in the best interests of the child.
6. Distribute the settlement funds: Once the settlement is approved, the funds will be distributed. In Georgia, any settlement or judgment for a child over $25,000.00 must be placed in an account until the child reaches the age of 18, unless the court approves another arrangement.
It's important to note that the process for settling a claim for a child in Georgia can be complex, and every case is unique. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney can help ensure that you receive a fair settlement for your child's injuries.